Sunday, September 10, 2006

Why am I football fan?

I began watching football in high school. I was exposed to football much younger. My dad and my brother were avid watchers of football when I was a young girl. We also spent many a Saturdays traveling to see the Grambling Tigers play and to see the New Orleans Saints on Sundays.

I went away to college, the University of LA-Monroe, and attended home and away games there. Grambling was just a hop, skip, and a jump away and I found myself there some Saturdays (my brother was in school there).

I moved to the ultimate football state, Texas, a year out of college. The greater Houston area has plenty of football with several universities and an NFL team*. I was in Houston until 2002 and then migrated to Athens, GA, home of the University of Georgia (UGA).

I found myself in Athens as a graduate student at UGA studying toward a PhD (which I've since earned). I really got back into the college game living Athens with the Georgiadogs. The excitement in this town on Saturdays is just electric! It is simply amazing! I love it!

Living in Athens, I didn't follow the professional game a lot. For one, college football is king here. Secondly, most Sundays I was doing work for my degree. Now that I'm finished with school, I want to get back into the NFL game.

I recently upgraded my television and I subscribed to NFL Sunday Ticket. I'm looking forward to the games this season on Saturday and Sunday.

*The year I moved to Houston, 1995, it was the final year that the Houston Oilers were in the city.

No comments: